Are you looking to add a bit of fun and mental stimulation to your cat’s mealtime? A puzzle feeder could be for you! Check out some of the many health and behavioral benefits associated with puzzle feeder use below, as well as our top picks for the best fun engaging puzzle feeders for cats.
Benefits of Puzzle Feeders for Cats
When implemented and used correctly, puzzle feeders can be a great environmental enrichment tool for indoor cats. Check out some of their many other health and behavioral benefits below;
- Mental stimulation and enrichment – Puzzle feeders encourage cats to use their natural foraging and hunting skills which is challenging, fun, and mentally rewarding. This also helps cats to feel more ‘in control’ of their lives, which makes them happier, less stressed, and generally more fulfilled!
- Physical exercise and increased activity – Mobile puzzle feeders require cats to chase objects around a space which can be a great source of physical exercise for indoor cats, while stationary puzzle feeders increase the physical exertion needed to obtain food as a result of their challenging nature, in turn aiding weight-loss.
- They force your cat to slow down while eating – Puzzle feeders encourage your cat to eat at a healthy pace, which may help to reduce vomiting and regurgitation associated with binge-eating.
- They keep cats busy and out of trouble – Puzzle feeders are time-consuming and challenging to complete so are great for boredom prevention and preventing boredom-related abnormal behavior.
- They can help to reduce problematic behaviors – A study by the Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery has shown that puzzle feeders, when implemented correctly, can help to reduce and in some cases eliminate problem behavior such as aggression, fear, anxiety, litterbox avoidance (and subsequent urinary problems), and attention-seeking.
- They are easy to implement with relatively few associated risks
8 Fun & Engaging Puzzle Feeders for Cats
Check out our top picks for the best fun and engaging puzzle feeders for cats below;
1. Petstages 'Buggin' Out' Treat Puzzle Slow Feeder
Perfect for curious cats and those that like to gorge, the Buggin’ Out treat puzzle from Petstages promotes a healthy eating pace while encouraging cats to use their inquisitive nature to forage for food.
With 16 hidden treat compartments, zero removable parts and over 500 5-star Amazon global ratings, the Buggin’ Out puzzle feeder from Petstages is a hit with most cats.
2. Catit Senses 2.0 Food Tree Interactive Cat Toy
Another great option for cats that like to binge-eat. The Catit Senses 2.0 Food Tree promotes a healthy eating pace by encouraging your cat to work for their food.
With an improved design and increased stability, the 2.0 Food Tree provides three levels of difficulty and is easy to disassemble and clean.
3. All for Paws Interactive Cat Puzzle Feeder
Perfect for beginner cats and experts alike, this interactive puzzle feeder from All for Paws features a customizable treat maze for three levels of difficulty. Simply add more blocks to increase the challenge!
4. PetSafe SlimCat Feeder Ball Interactive Treat/Food Game
The SlimCat feeder ball differs from most cat puzzle feeders in that it combines mealtime with mental enrichment and exercise to improve weight loss and fight obesity.
Suitable for use with most kibble sizes, the openings can be easily adjusted to allow you to control how quickly your cat gets their food.
5. Trixie Cat Activity Tunnel Feeder Interactive Cat Toy
Another popular puzzle feeder for cats that encourages your cat to use their natural foraging skills is the Tunnel Feeder interactive cat toy from Trixie.
The unique tunnel-shaped design features an adjustable level of output to vary how quickly treats and kibble are released, making it a great enrichment and slow feeder option for cats that like to gorge.
6. Catit 2.0 Digger Puzzle Cat Feeder
Another fun puzzle feeder that helps to slow greedy eaters by making them work for their food in a fun and stimulating way.
Featuring multiple tubes that stimulate natural pawing behavior, the Catit 2.0 Digger encourages your cat to use its sight, smell, taste, touch, and hearing in pursuit of their meal!
7. Trixie Activity Feeder Poker Box For Cats
Designed for curious cats and clever kitties this puzzle feeder features multiple treat compartments for hidden food and challenges your cat’s senses by using a different opening method for each compartment.
8. Trixie Activity Fun Board for Cats
Ideal for cats 3-months and up, this activity fun board from Trixie features 5 exciting game modules for varying levels of difficulty, including ‘pawing’ fish bowls, pegboard strategy game, hidey holes, ‘mouse’ tunnel, and alley game.
Great for slowing fast eaters and stimulating your cat’s natural foraging and hunting skills.
For some handy puzzle feeder implementation and troubleshooting tips, be sure to check out this article from the Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery.
Are you a dog parent too? If so, you may also like to check out a similar read for dogs over on our sister site, Hey, Djangles!